Friday, November 18, 2011

Some Tole

 Yet another of my recent design fascinations has been with Tole ware. I first recognized it in my neighbor's house. (No, not the artist of the bookcases and the studio tour, another neighbor. Have I mentioned what a terrific neighborhood I live in?) A fabulous piece from the 70's that her mother purchased through an expensive designer in Atlanta. A penetrating but not obnoxious terra cotta color double lamp with switches  that control both sides. Sometimes when I am over there I switch it on and off, back and forth. The metal shades push all the light down, it is a fantastic trick. Anyway, I love the look. 



 On yet another of my Thrift forays I recognized the pierced metal shade and odd coloration and picked up a few mid-century tole ware lamps of my own. A little research revealed that tole is actually a generic term for paint on metal.






 When I searched on 1st dibs I found quite a variety of wonderful tole pieces. Mine are but a mid-century interpretation of an old and highly evolved decor style.

 I tole you 

Tole trays, another post!

No comments:

Post a Comment